When the storm the night before answered your prayers and you wake up to a fresh dumping of sparkling powder, hesitating because of cold temperatures is quite possibly one of the last things on your mind. Some days you get comfortable temperatures and other times, the most epic days are the coldest so adequate gear and proper preparations are essential.
For beginners, being aware and prepared for the cold is also essential both for your safety and your comfort and enjoyment. Being properly prepared and dressed can be the difference between an amazing day on the hill that’s got you hooked and the worst that has you swearing you’ll never set foot on a ski hill again. You want to have fun on the hill, and so does everyone else around you.
The Heated Accessories
If you find you’re a cold person or you are always racing back to the lodge in between runs to bring the feeling back to your toes or fingers, heated ski accessories may be just what you need. From heated ski gloves and mitts to heated insoles and socks, you can benefit from rechargeable warmth all day and enjoy your time on the hill.
- For the mitten lovers still searching for the perfect, cozy mitt to keep the feeling in your fingertips all day, the Therm-ic Unisex PowerGlove IC 1300 Universal Mittens are for you. The mittens are equipped with a soft inner glove so that you have two layers for comfort including PrimaLoft® insulation. The lithium-ion batteries provide warmth for up to ten hours so you can enjoy a full day on the hill and feel your fingers the entire time.
- Outdoor Research also carries a pair of heated mitts which are the Unisex Lucent GTX Heated Mitts. Insulated with lightweight synthetic EnduraLoft™ insulation and weatherproofed with GORE-TEX® inserts, these mitts are sure to keep your hands warm so you can shred first chair until last chair. The mitts are heated with Outdoor Research’s ALTIHeat™ system and include a fleece palm lining so you have all the needed comfort and warmth to enjoy a full day in the cold.
- If you’re a glove person and hate the idea of having limited finger mobility, you’ve got a few heated options to choose from. Black Diamond makes the Solano GTX Gloves for men which are the premium cold weather glove. A waterproof GORE-TEX insert keep your hands dry while the rechargeable heating system keeps them warm. You’ve got LED button controls to choose what’s best for you between the three different heat levels.
- Outdoor Research also has a few options for heated gloves to choose from. The most popular being the Unisex Capstone GTX Heated Gloves, offers Outdoor Research’s ALTIHeat™ heated glove technology, PrimaLoft® Silver Insulation Hi-Loft, a GORE-TEX® insert and touch-screen compatible Sensor™ leather. The premier glove for resort skiing and backcountry adventures, The Capstone GTX Heated Gloves are the leading product in heated gloves.
- Another pair of heated gloves from Outdoor Research are the Unisex Stormtracker Windstopper Heated Gloves. These gloves are perfect for alpine climbing, ice climbing and ski touring and will keep your hands toasty warm. Although they are not waterproof like the Capstone Gloves, they do have durable water-resistant leather palms and a TPU injected mold design at back of hand which adds an additional layer of protection.
- Outdoor Research has the Unisex Lucent GTX Heated Gloves which are the glove version of the mitts. Also heated with the ALTIHeat™ battery-powered heat technology, the Lucent gloves give you the warmth and the weather protection you need to enjoy the most epic days.
When your toes go numb and it’s too painful to stand let alone ski, your day is going to be cut short. It’s hard to enjoy fresh tracks and white pow spraying up all over when you can’t stop thinking about how cold and sore your feet are. For the early birds that catch the sunrise from their skin track and finish by headlamp, warm feet are essential to make the day last. Sidas Volcano Heat Insole don’t only provide exceptional support and comfort, but provide warmth too. For battery powered warmth that keeps your feet in the game all day, try out a pair of Sidas.
If you suffer from cold feet constantly, heated socks may be what your life is missing. Lenz’s Unisex SET Lithium Pack rcB 1200 + Heat Sock 1.0 provide warmth for up to 20 hours thanks to their rechargeable lithium batteries. Each pair of socks has an integrated heating system that is unnoticeable and keeps the toe regions and balls of your feet heated. The sock is available in a regular size as well as a slim fit, so everyone can enjoy the warmth and comfort of Lenz.